Friday, February 24, 2012

Spring Fever in snowy February?



The snow is blowing across the yard outside, but I'm digging in the dirt inside! My young broccoli and brussels sprouts seedlings are busting out of the top of the seedling tray; long before the tomato and pepper seedlings have even begun to emerging from the peat pellets.


So today I felt it was a good day to do some transplanting. Transplanting into larger pots that is!


I have a couple medium sized flower pots with soil already positioned near the south facing bay window, so they worked perfect for the new seedlings. Each pot was planted with one or another specific vegetable plant. Broccoli in one pot and Kholrabi in the other. Since the two look so much alike, as they do to brussel sprouts its critical I keep them identified for later planting in the garden space outside.

Its not just my garden vegetable seedlings I'm doing some garden care with. My young citrus trees and even my house plants have been seeing spring changes.


My orange seedling tree, as well as my lime and lemon trees all have new leaves beginning to sprout. So it seems I'm not the only one anxious for spring.

My houseplants too have been putting on new growth, though due to the severe limitations of light, the stems seem quite spindly. But I see this as an opportunity for a veggie haircut! Instead of fighting the winter willowy-growth, I've decided to use it to my advantage. After allowing the growth, I cut the stems off and begin rooting numerous other plants for spring sales and donation purposes (I donate some to Habitat for Humanities Restore).


This practice keeps my plants within the limits of my own pots and also gives me a chance to pay-it-forward to others who love gardening and house plants.

How does this translate into Frugal Living?

By growing my own seedlings, I save money in the end, since TIME is what I have; not cash, to pay for greenhouse grown transplants at garden time in May & June.

We have become so accustomed to "convenience" we often forget it costs money. Money many of us could use in other areas of our budget. Plus it stops the impulse purchasing later in the season when we dream of a big bountiful garden.

Consider this... If you aren't willing to care for the seedlings, what is the likelihood you are ACTUALLY going to weed the garden and care for the larger plants? So you could consider seeds your training session when you have far fewer activities taking your time and attention away from the care of your plants. It helps you get in a habit that will need to grow and mature along with your garden's needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment